The Village of Ossining released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) in July of 2019 seeking a developer that would strategically generate a concept plan best fulfilling the needs of the village. This village-owned site is conveniently located on Main Street, Water Street and Central Avenue along the Sing Sing Kill and referred to as the DPW Site. The Village of Ossining’s RFQ was adamant in collaboratively working with a developer to fulfill the vision of Ossining’s community in accordance with their guiding principles below.
- Creates affordable residential opportunities attractive to a range of income levels in the Village and all generations
- Executes a key policy strategy in Ossining’s 2017 Housing Needs Assessment: provide a deeper and broader level of affordability requirements for new housing development to ensure access to affordable housing by lower income households and that support mixed income housing
- Creates a space for commercial opportunities and community programming
- Provides a public amenity that facilitates a pedestrian connection between Upper Main Street and Station Plaza
- Provides public access along the Sing Sing Kill and make a connection to the Sing Sing Kill Greenway
- Encourages additional development in the area
- Employs modern materials and sustainable practices
- Pedestrian friendly
- Remediation of the former Ossining Manufactured Gas Plant remains under a multi-site consent order between Con Edison and the NYS DEC
Wilder Balter Partners spent over six months working with consultants to create a development to present to the village. WBP worked diligently to develop a plan that takes the needs and desires expressed by the village above, and incorporate them into a development that benefits the waterfront community in many ways. Our main vision was to build off the RFQ and redevelop the site in such a way that it becomes an asset to the greater Ossining community, with connections between the downtown and waterfront, great architecture and land planning that brings activity to this part of the village, all while creating a mixed income residential community that will provide a wide array of housing opportunities to the village. WBP submitted our complete Request for Qualifications in September of 2019, presented our concept plan to the village in January of 2020, and was awarded the selected developer in April of 2020.